“The books transported her in to new worlds and introduced her to amazing people who lived exciting lives.”
Develop a Love of Reading!
There is a great variety of different things you can read; books, comics, magazines, poems, recipes, nursery rhymes…Reading is so much fun!
Here are some activities you can do at home.
Questions about your book selection:
Questions before you read the book:
- What kind of book is it? Fiction, non-fiction…
- Why did you want to read this book?
- Do you like the book cover?
- What do you think this book might be about?
- What is the title of the book?
- Who is the author of the book?
- Read the blurb on the back of the book. What clues does this give us about the book?
Questions while reading the book:
Questions after reading the book:
- What has happened so far?
- What might happen next? Do the pictures give any clues?
- Which is your favourite character?
- Can you find another word that means the same as…?
- What happened at the beginning of the story?
- What happened at the end of the story?
- Can you retell the story in your own words?
When we read in school, we look at pictures, read short stories and poems. We discuss four questions:
- Is there anything you liked?
- Is there anything you dislike?
- Did you spot any patterns?
- Is there anything you would like to ask a question about or is there anything that puzzled you?